Wednesday, February 25, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog, That is the Question

A few weeks ago, as a new blogger, I got VERY caught up in the blogosphere. I started writing a few things, but mostly I started leaping from blog to blog, caught in the web of excitement -- new recipes! sad stories! beautifully-designed blogs! I could blog around forever (is that the verb for looking at blogs?) But, alas, real life set in and I haven't been able to invest my time in the blog world as much recently. This is a hobby for me -- a fun thing that's really just for me. And I deserve "me" time, but my internal debate is now what I should do with my limited "me" time. I'm thinking...
Exercise
Read a good book
Sleep (like I should be doing now)
Watch The Office
So many hobbies, but so little time to do them. I must prioritize!
On a similar note, I've become obsessed with the thought that we're all WAY too addicted to the internet. I have an iPhone. Yikes. Now I can check my email constantly. Not a good thing. I must discipline myself to just check a few times a day. Such a time waster. I think I'll never get to my big goals in life if I feel tied to the "unreads."
And Facebook. Oh my! Now my generation has jumped on. I'm sure this is to the dismay of the younger crowd. It is so fun to reconnect with old friends, but again, I ask, how much time should I be spending voyeuristically looking at people I barely know.
A mom at my son's school is dieing of cancer. She is 33 and her goal is to make it to her 34th birthday next month. Such a tragic story but also a reminder that EACH DAY IS A GIFT FROM GOD. And we should be using each day well.
I'm going to continue to blog (maybe read others more than writing my own) but I am going to discipline myself to limit my online time, whether it's email, blogging, or Facebook. I just don't want my tombstone to read, "She was always on her computer."

5 comments:

  1. Great post!
    Stopping by from SITS to say hi!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from SITS!
    You make an excellent point, I have been making a point to spend less time blogging and facebooking and making more time for the little people running around my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reminder...thanks for putting it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you in thinking people are too attached to computers! I think I am one of those people! Of course I work from home...on the computer, so that could be part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Restraint is the key to enjoying it! My first few months were full of reading and writing and hoping for comments.

    Now, I go weeks here and there without writing and set aside an hour on the weekend to go comment on my favorite reads.

    Whenever you write, I'll come by!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete